math poll 4/4 BONUS ROUND 

Which of these numbers could you describe/define in a sentence?

(Hint, since I don't think you can submit without selecting at least one box: The sentence could be something like "the circumference of a circle with diameter of length 1" or "seven divided by eleven")

Show thread

math poll 3/n 

Which of these sums are AT LEAST one-half (1/2) ?

[(= 1/2) or (> 1/2)]

Show thread

math poll 2/n 

Which of these decimals do you recognize as simple fractions?

Show thread

math poll 1/n 

Which of these fractions do you know the decimal equivalent of, without calculating?

(boosts for more representative samples appreciated!)

It's not even picking up my own old toots, what the hell.

Show thread

Posting to try to kick my timeline so it remembers that I'm following people who do, in fact, post.

I guess my feeling is, it looks like this is meant to *write functions for you*, and it's not obvious whether there's the capability or potential for it to *question whether the function needs to be written*.

Show thread

I'm looking at the Python memoization example from and thinking to myself "If I ever needed this functionality, I would simply use functools.cache".

(And if it were for some reason *imperative* for me to implement the function myself, I'd use wrapt, probably. Or functools.wraps. Not, you know, nothing, and thereby destroy the function signatures.)


It'd be like writing a CLI that prints "You're going to die." to stderr, and refusing to remove the message, because it's not *incorrect* or anything. Just useless.

Show thread

boring git internals 

I'm somehow still annoyed at the "Your branch is up to date with 'origin/main'." message from `git status`.

In order to make any kind of informed use of this information, you have to understand the following three-part distinction between branches:

- There is a server, locally designated as "origin", which has a "main" branch
- There is a local branch, called "origin/main", which you do not alter explicitly, but which is set to track the "main" branch on "origin"
- There is a local branch, called "main", which tracks "origin/main", and is not explicitly linked to "origin"

(I'm sure I got something at least a little wrong in all of that, but it's more correct than the mental model anyone new to git is likely to come up with. This is not a slight against people new to git.)

That message from `git status` has nothing to do with the state of the first branch I mentioned, only the other two.

I do not think the `git status` message conveys any useful info in the common use case for git.

I've been binging on viral math problem discourse because I have terrible judgement, and I've concluded that we, as a global society, are completely unprepared for a world in which a malevolent demon or extradimensional imp appears in front of us and demands that we manipulate arbitrary strings of symbols.

Huh. Really hitting the misclicks in this Masto client today for some reason.

(In other words: "We will hold up PEP 8 violations by other tools as reasons not to use them, while simultaneously mandating behavior that specifically violates PEP 8.")

Show thread

Writing style guides appears to be a hell of a drug. "Black violates PEP 8! Also, include an encoding comment even when the encoding is utf-8!"

Hot take: "foxtrot merges" wouldn't be such a big deal if git had mercurial-style branches.

Documentation on libraries I want to use be like "The best time for you to add this to your project was a week ago, and the instructions we have assume that's the case."

Like, I don't want to run a quickstart script. I want to invest the minimum effort without trashing my project structure.

Weekly dose of corporations behaving in unsurprising manners:

Verizon has streamlined flow for porting numbers, and I'm totally baffled about how to migrate numbers already on the service.

UPS left a delivery attempt notice. Neither of us has left the house all day.

Pretty sure typographers explaining bad kerning is some kind of elaborate sabotage plot.

Love too get Duolingo questions wrong because of a momentary lapse in FPS skills.

Show older
I'm in Space!

A generalist Mastodon instance with a nice domain name. Running on Glitch Social's fork with a custom theme!