So you just arrived here from twitter and it's quiet. Real quiet. That's because there's no algorithm here designed to drive engagement(which equals profit).
Here, you are the algorithm. It's up to you to find and follow people that are interesting to you. You can also see who they follow and who else follows them, as you build it up, it gets more interesting.
Also, if you find people you don't like or entire instances you don't like, you can mute or block them. You are in control.
Lots to take in, huh? You’ll get the hang of it! :)
There are lots of blind people on Mastodon. Actively using it. Some tips:
1. Set a display name but don’t add emojis. Even if some screen readers can read it, is it a nice experience? We take milliseconds to skim emojis, screen readers don’t.
2. When posting images, do add alt text. You’re already familiar with this from Twitter. 😊
3. Use CamelCase for hashtags.
New people, welcome to Mastodon and the Fediverse!
Here's how to get started:
2. Find out your Mastodon/Fediverse address so you can share it with friends (https://mstdn.social/@feditips/107248252715651564)
3. Invite people to join you on here by telling them to go to https://joinmastodon.org and click on "Get Started". It doesn't matter if they join a different server because the servers talk to each other (here's a bit more of an explanation https://mstdn.social/@feditips/107021461185874594)
4. Find out what the Fediverse is (https://mstdn.social/@feditips/107044096139091624)
5. Find out why Mastodon being on so many different servers/instances is a really good thing (https://mstdn.social/@feditips/107083735491993183)
6. If you see anything nasty, you can report it to your friendly server admin (https://mstdn.social/@feditips/106540152842368591)
7. You can (sort of) verify your account if you own a website (https://mstdn.social/@feditips/106274105538953001)
If you have any questions, @ me or DM me!
A reminder that virtually all Mastodon hosts are volunteer operations. The fediverse isn't advertising supported. 💸
Most instances have ways of accepting donations.
Find out yours and use them. Contact your instance admin or check your instance's front page.
(Annoyingly, you may have to log out to see the front page.)
Did you know you can contribute to elementary OS, whether or not you can code? There are so many ways you can get involved whether it's funding, support, or development. Learn more about all the different ways here:
• 🕷 Web dev • 💙 elementary OS app dev
• 👾 Amateur pixel artist • 👅 Polyglot
• 🌈 he/him/él
A generalist Mastodon instance with a nice domain name. Running on Glitch Social's fork with a custom theme!